PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NIMBY compaints to the airfield
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2002, 12:53
EI_Sparks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Macky,
It's not that the complaints might or might not be valid that's so annoying - it's the way that they are pursued. For example, a plane buzzed a house in our estate a few days ago, wing-waggling and doing steep turns over (presumably) the new SPL's house. Low enough that he was below the 1500' AGL limit for built-up areas (irish regs) and low enough for me to not only read the reg but see the pilot's head distinctly. Now I personally enjoyed it and have no intention of submitting a complaint, past the "lucky sod, wish I was doing that" one, but if I did, it wouldn't be a complaint but a quiet word in the ear of the CFI - not a formal complaint to the local authorities. That is something you only do for a serious chronic problem. Otherwise you're talking about trying to get an airfield shut down to stop one pilot from buzzing your house - and to succeed there, you'd have to shut down each and every airfield in the country, and all private strips, and all big grass fields! A quiet word to the CFI from someone who has a valid worry leads to a slightly louder word in the ear of the relevant pilot (or instructor) and that is far more effective IMO. And if the worry is ill-informed and invalid, well, who better than the CFI to dispell worry and extend an invitation to visit the airfield and maybe learn to fly themselves?