PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chosing schools , and starting the training
Old 27th Oct 2010, 00:34
dufferin1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chosing schools , and starting the training

Hi guys.
Hopefully this is the right forum, if not, I do apologize. You all probably have had the feeling of being a pilot from "x" age. For me it was grade 4 and since then its been more then just a dream. Anything aviation related you name it and I have probably done something with it, be it with flying simulators on the PC all day to watching cockpit videos haha. Anyways, Im currently in grade 12 at Rothesay Netherwood School, an IB prep school in New Brunswick. Currently we are in the process of filling out applications for schools with our university officer. ( Very nice having one on campus at all times..)

I have done hours and hours of research and talked thoroughly with my parents about it and there are a few options. Number one is the InterCockpit Ab Initio program in Germany. Very good opportunity to get a job straight away after and the loan pay back setup seems to be good. Plus it is branched from Lufthansa. I do have both Canadian and German passports for what ever it is worth. Now I am a bit confused, some have told me if I make my ATPL in Germany and would like to come back to North America, I need to get re tested? Can someone please straighten that out for me? And I do know i would have to do the GAPF test.

My second option is Oxford Aviation but both the Intercockpit and Oxford are very high priced and I would need to get some sort of funding in place / loan so any help there would be great.

Next would be a school very near to me. The Moncton Flight College. Good fleet and they train the Air Asia pilots also. They have an Integrated Commercial Course including ATP. The total would be 54K for this plus Id have to pay housing but its very reasonable here. The problem is -> no job access. Personally, I am not sure I would like to stay in Canada afterwards in terms of jobs although there are many opportunities the pay SEEMS to be better in Europe, once again SEEMS.

So basically you can all see what kind of a deliema I am in. Yes, I know I won't be rich with this job, but I truly love it..It's really a passion and the dedication is definitely there. I know its a bit broad but if any of you have other suggestions or tips on my current options please feel free to share, I do have a meeting with the university officer this Thursday so I would like to have a few things to really talk about and explore when I meet with her.

Thanks all,
Mario