PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beta blockers and palpitations
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2010, 17:53
aviate1138

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD
Everybody who has AF seems to have a different version than mine. Most AF people I meet have paroxsmal AF and that causes fainting and rushes to the hospital, mine seems more benign [thank goodness] and I note that with Warfarin, Grapefruit is not recommended as are lots of Dark Greens and Cranberry Juice and Garlic! The trick seems to be a little of everything and that is where self checking ones INR [the coagulating rate] seems to give peace of mind over invariably inconvenient visits to the surgery.

My hair is falling out now and that is a bind. I expect to be on some medication - warfarin for sure but I am going to get my own INR tester and try natural foods to control the level - my target level is 2.5 and at present I vary between 2.2 and 2.5. The NHS will supply the little [expensive and non reusable] strips that gather the blood and allow the results to be shown.

CoaguChek |PT/INR Patient self-testing |CoaguChek XS System

PS My surgery managed to give me 6 times the required daily dose of Digoxin and after 2 months I thought I was fading away. I now check every change in dosage and ask as many questions as I think reasonable. Second opinions are a right btw.

Good luck with SWMBO and her Pradaxa - I must check out that too!