PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2010, 13:15
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My, how we have advanced through these past 14 pages Earl! From the lofty lawns of Eaton Hall in Cheshire to ... this! I must confess though that progress is beautiful!

AIR GREGORY

Great to see some comments on Air Gregory.

Air Gregory was owned by Ken Gregory, manager to Stirling Moss who went on to race in his own right. I know very little about him and have no recollection of my godfather ever having made reference to him.

Ken Gregory (centre) with Stirling Moss (right) and Stirling's father Alfred (left)

Air Gregory Alouette II G-AVEE seen at Biggin Hill in 1967. In the early 70's this became the first Alouette II I saw - at Shoreham

Air Gregory Hughes 500C G-AXPL at Hullavington on 26th July 1970 with the company's phone number advertised on the tail. (Something my godfather would have strongly disapproved of )

Air Gregory Hughes 300C G-BAEH at Biggin Hill on 18th May 1974

Gay Absolom

I am certian my godfather knew her father, he certainly knew Gay and mentioned her to me several times although I never met her - he did however introduce me to Jean Batten (more than once) and the last time I saw her was at Cranfield '79. Somewhere I have a signed copy of her book.

Connections

It is inconceivable to imagine that Air Gregory owner Ken Gregory did not know Colin Chapman as Moss, who Gregory managed, also drove at some point for Chapman.

Also, and I need some assistance here, but, didn't Alan Mann also have some links with motorsport in the early days?

~ ~ ~

There must surely be quite a bit of information available about Air Gregory, especially via the Smith family (not my godfather but Mike Smith and his son) and if not then via Denham Airfield iteself perhaps?

Anyone with any more information about this operation - your contributions shall be greatly welcomed!

Last edited by Savoia; 21st Nov 2012 at 16:27. Reason: Re-post images from new photo-hosting site