PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NIMBY compaints to the airfield
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2002, 07:34
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beagle - I like your style!

At the aerodrome where I often fly from they decided (several years ago) to build a housing estate just off the end of the westerly runway - despite the fact that the aerodrome operator objected at the public enquiry.

It has now become the local custom to initiate the climbing turn after take off at circa 200 ft to help keep the natives happy. I am not so sure that this complies with Rule 5 since one should be taking off and landing in accordance with "normal" aviation practice and there is nothing listed in the AIP about "special" procedures. When the ambient temperatures get higher and aircraft performance is decreased we have to make the turn at 100 ft!

As an instructor I am not at all happy with low time pilots using this procedure and find myself caught in a dilemma. Do we stick to normal aviation practice and turn at 500 ft and upset the locals or fly a risky climbing turn after every take off and compromise safety? Perhaps we should just stop using this runway for departure?

We had a noise complaint from a local after I had sent a student solo on circuits - I could here him overflying down the phone line as I chatted to the complainant! I managed to calm him down and even invite him to come over for a chat and even a ride in one of our aircraft!

However, the problem remains as to what we do with these people and the effect they are having on flight safety. Of course, we should all operate our aircraft to avoid noise nuisance where possible but I get worried when safety is being compromised.