PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates vs. Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2010, 19:06
Flying Phoenix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Economic Costs

Six7driver,

The whole argument of towards the economic benefits that EK/Emirates would bring to Canada was rendered moot the moment their government decided to negotiate additional access to the Canadian market through blackmail (closure of a military base) and inane decisions (not allowing a high level member of the Canadian Government into their airspace). They must realize that this type of negotiating is stupid, stupid, stupid. If not, then they surely must realize that their will be economic costs by negotiating this way (if they didn't before, they do now). PM Harper has shown considerable restraint in dealing with this issue so EK should consider itself lucky. For many Canadians, we would have applied much harsher penalties to the Emirates government and its' carrier for their appalling behavior.

Now onto the economic benefits that EK would bring. I can't argue the benefits which you posted as I can read the numbers. What I also need to see in order to be convinced is what the net benefits are to Canadians. Are the numbers you posted 'gross benefits' before the costs (which may be considerable) are taken into account? I don't know, but I suspect that since these are early days in this debate we will start to see some additional surveys done in this area. Remember, numbers can be constructed to read however you want them to read. Reality is an entirely different matter.