PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U2 @ Akrotiri
Thread: U2 @ Akrotiri
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2010, 12:02
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some might remember the fight at The Pen Club in the 80s, involving 111 Sqn and 34 Sqn RAF Regt, in which some OH blokes also got involved (to their detriment). Some might remember the aftermath, during which a certain CO got a visit from Nicosia asking why the US recce capability in the Middle East that day, had been scrubbed due to his 'brutal thugs'. It almost got him sent home. I say 'might' because it never happened of course. They complained about our alternative 5th July do as well.. we probably didn't do Anglo/US relations much good in those days.

I don't remember nights in the AAA bar either. No, THEY actually did happen, but I really don't remember them. I have happy memories of many Bacon and Haloumi butties in 'the' hangar with the guys as the warm breeze drifted in. I remember the medics getting to grips with new resus procedures in the event of a crash, and the fact that in those days, pre flight briefing seemed to involve every flight getting maps of the world drawn from the map store in Ops. This, due to Opsec and the fact that nowhere was not available if needed.

Now, what were those cocktails called..? They involved a Creme de Menthe depth charge being dropped into a spirit mix, in a Gill measure.