PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA works on draft rules for third-party training providers
Old 25th Oct 2010, 07:41
chimbu warrior

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Gas chamber I can only conclude that you have been fortunate with FSI, and I assure you that not all overseas training organizations are alike.

I have had 2 overseas experiences (not with FSI), of which one was "average" and the other dreadful. Both seemed focused on passing the check ride, based on the school's knowledge of the check pilot's nuances (yes, despite the practical teat standards, they vary too). In the worst case, the sim training (what there was of it) was continual re-runs of the script that they knew the check pilot was going to use.

My frequent questions regarding systems or procedures were greeted with "..don't worry, your employer will cover all that..". Fact is, my employer sent me there to learn the aircraft, not just pass a check. Furthermore, both providers reneged on their promise to my employer to incorporate our SOP's into the training.

Sadly, both these training providers were accepted by CASA as they met the standards of FAR 142 (or equivalent). I would not recommend either school. Neither provided a syllabus, and one could not even offer a class schedule; it was a case of cramming you with the minimum knowledge to tick each box.

I am a firm believer in tailored training, and training to a standard of skill and knowledge, not to a price.

I am sure FSI are an excellent provider, but sadly there are some shonks out there.