PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2010, 15:28
Ivan Rogov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite rightly some have commented on my claim

MRA4 has better DASS than many other platforms; I understand the MR2 was the furthest forward RAF aircraft during GW2.
I did not mean to imply that it could operate without fighter cover with a Red air threat, it was in response to B Word

On the saving of fast jets, I can only conclude that MRA4 would be next to useless in a contested environment without FJs to provide localised air supremacy/superiority - so I guess a "chicken and egg" decision had to be made?
we were the HVU on CQWIs and other exercises so I am well aware how dead we were without OCA (DCA?) in the first day or two of full on hostilities, I just don’t see the need for so many FJ in future scenarios, especially when they are allegedly so much more capable than before.

As to the furthest forward RAF aircraft during GW2, obviously I should have said during parts of GW2. Granted it is a second hand story, but I have no reason to disbelieve the person who told me, he was on the aircraft. It was not meant to prove how invulnerable the MR2 was to missiles or cannon fire, more that despite all the doctrine written and plans made we (Nimrod MR) continuously found ourselves operating in totally different environments and situations to that envisaged or practiced for, due to the flexibility of the platform and crews.

Many have already spotted the crux of the SDSR MRA4 matter, did they bin the capability or the project. I believe it was the project and they now have to wait a suitable length of time to ensure it is unrecoverable. This way they aren’t seen to be throwing £3.5? billion away.

FWIW I appreciate all that has been done to make the Nimrod a safer platform by everyone, it is naïve to think that the huge amount of work would have been done without external pressure. For those that are happy the MRA4 is no more, sometimes it’s better the devil you know, the aircraft has been under the microscope and fixed where required, what problems do other platforms have that we just don’t know about yet?

I’ve probably said enough and need to start looking for a new career so I shall now retire form taking an active part in this thread, esspeciallee as the spoolin poliss are akteve. Whoray four spool chucher

Try and keep it civil