PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coldwar RAF U-2 Pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2010, 11:20
VIProds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U-2 & SR-71 info

I have been corresponding with Major Buddy Brown USAF, who used to fly the SR-71 as a pilot. I mentioned ICM's post when he was on exchange, in the States & met up with another Pilot & Navigator that were also on exchange, but couldn't reveal where they were based or what they were doing.

Buddy went through all his lists of Pilots, RSO's, Staff & VIP's that flew in the SR-71, the A-12 & YF-12 & said that there was no mention of any RAF personnel having any involvement in those aircraft - What a shame !

I also mentioned to Buddy about the eleven RAF Pilots that converted to & flew missions in the U-2 for the CIA. Buddy responded by saying "I think you mean THIRTEEN RAF Pilots". Buddy then sent me an attachment showing the names of all 741 Pilots that flew the U-2 from 1951 to 2001 !!

The two extra names that I didn't have were Ian McBride who converted to type in 1971 & Ronald Simmons who converted in 1972.

I know that the late Robbie Robinson wrote an article about his U-2 exploits. It would be nice to know that some of the remaining aircrew from "Operation Ju Jitsu", "Operation Robin" & the U-2 flights might be tempted to put pen to paper about their exploits. I for one would be delighted to read them.