PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2010, 10:47
Lima Juliet

Received 83 Likes on 34 Posts
Winco

You're talking out the top of your melon fella. The F3s were in Bosnia as soon as the UN declared a no-fly zone (I know because I was there) - the only shoot down of Serbian FJs was the day they ventured in and that was our down-day; the Boss fielded the phone call from the CAOC on the Golf Course and it was the same vul time as we had been doing the previous 6 days or so (unlucky!). We were sitting CAPs against all of the Iraqi Air Force on the Saudi border about 48hrs after they went into Kuwait - thankfully they never came because most of the RSAF had dissapeared! We were flying CAPs over Iraq from the end of Desert Fox up to 40 miles (ish) from Baghdad - the closest I got was with a Mig 23 about to reach the top of my launch success zone(LSZ) and then he knobbed off North back out of the no-fly. We made countless intercepts of Hips during Bosnia but were never given clearance to engage as their combative status was in question (so outside ROE). We weren't in Kosovo because we were Mig 23 and Mig 25 hunting over Iraq - out of interest the F14 , F15 and F16 were equally fruitless but kept the bomber and ISTAR packages safe (now do you understand why we need FJs??!).

Oh, and if we're in the spelling sl@g off stakes then that isn't how you spell response (note no 'c') and that isn't how to spell 'wingco' (note the additional 'g') - unless you are a brand from Woolworths?

Rant off

LJ