PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR - Redundancy Package?
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2010, 09:40
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
d1-w1,

First of all I am only going through a few thoughts I have had, and my wife has been nagging me about - I don't want to start a "my situation is worse than yours" slanging match with anyone, all of us have our problems I'm sure...

I appreciate that many aircrew are potentially vulnerable - I wasn't ignoring that (and good luck to everyone in the months to come). However, the aircrew at Kinloss are unique in one respect - their airbase is about to disappear from under them, and probably pretty damn quickly.

While people at Waddington (continuing to use that as just an example) may be vulnerable, for either a move or worse case redundancy, at least they will stay at Waddington until their fate is decided. People at Kinloss will (probably) be moved on within the next 6 months (who knows what to, possibily even holding or non jobs) as the RAF element at Kinloss closes - before Manning has fully worked out the plot I suspect, since voluntary redundancies will probably not yet be finalized. They could then find out a few months later that they are moving again, or even made redundant - so they face a double whammy. What is the alternative - send all the aircrew at Kinloss on gardening leave (possibly up to 18 months) while RAF Manning sorts its life out. I can't see that happening - can you?

Throw in moving a wife and children, maybe trying to sell a house in an area where the bottom has just fallen out of the market, etc. If I were given a choice of where I would rather be at the moment, no matter how uncertain my future might be, of either Waddington or Kinloss, it wouldn't be hard to pick....