PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong vs Singapore living
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 23:41
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max Reheat - I think an expats. perception will vary depending on whether one lives there or just visits!

We lived there and had an account with a reliable taxi company and could get a taxi within ten minutes just about any time, any where at all, we accepted the surcharge as the overall cost was still cheap, a Singaporean often won't do this.

When in Orchard Road at peak time why bother with a taxi at all? The buses are plentiful and a fraction of the cost.

The MRT is designed around the high density housing areas, the CBD and major shopping areas but can still be very useful.

Ever tried getting a taxi in London when it is raining? Alternatively around 18.00 in the city area trying to get to Victoria? "Sorry mate, only going East", illegal, but they do it, if plying for hire they have to accept a fare anywhere within ten miles. Have you used taxis in Sydney or Melbourne lately? You are lucky if the driver speaks English and you don't have to read the map for them!

As a regular visitor to HKG I noticed a huge change for the worse after 1997.

No disrespect to Mrs Re Heat but having flown with Singaporeans for ten years I found that very few of the middle and upper intelligence/academic bracket who weren't in politics or the government had much good to say about Singapore!