PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Air Marshals flee Brazil following arrest saga
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 23:22
rick1128

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alemaobaiano, these FAM's undoubtedly knew about the aftermath of the 737/Legacy accident. Add in the their detainee was the wife of a federal judge and they were taken, from what I can discern, almost immediately in front of a judge. I don't know about you, but that would not give the warm and fuzzies about my chances. And holding of passports for a misdemeanor?

As for the force used. They were in a small area, dealing with a combative person with many innocent bystanders (or should it be bysitters?). You really can't muck around. Since they were charged with a misdemeanor, they most likely didn't pistol whip her, use a tazer, asp or nightstick on her. If she had any injuries, it was quite likely from the handcuffs and she most likely did that to herself. Since both FAM's were most likely male, they wouldn't have searched her as it is totally against DOJ policy. While the FAMs are controlled by DHS, they are trained by DOJ and DOJ has most likely laid down a lot of ground rules. I have run it many that were in the U.S. Marshal Service and transferred to the FAM program. And they tend to be quite calm when dealing with detained persons.

Last edited by rick1128; 24th Oct 2010 at 02:51.