PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 21:30
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PN,
very restrained of you, old chap, cracking on you might have just heard a whisper etc?

Of course back in the 1980's or so the 'Red Storm Rising' computer game had Stinger masts on subs...

As an ex Dry op I have to say that I always thought a half mile long pole would have been a better fit (stuck to the nose, obviously), inasmuch as you could have a simple switch that dropped a Mk46 (or Stingray, later on - or, dammit, a 44 if we're really getting nostalgic)... when the pole hits something the torpedo drops - as the Meerkat ads have it 'squeak, simples'.

Remember that old photo of the nasty sov with the mocked up missles on the sail - part of the ongoing 'us v them boredom and spoof war' that saw a few humorous highlights along the way?

(One helo chap told me about a bottomless plastic dustbin fitted with tinsel etc they had 'aimed' at a Malin Head AGI, once over, then ditched it some distance away so they could enjoy watching the AGI steam over to recover this new sensor that had fallen off the helo....)

It's probably about time for a Spud Murphy thread, as I fear it's all Maritime will have to contribute to Pprune for some time to come. Oddly enough a P-3 is STILL flying over my house regularly this evening, so at least someone is using Kinloss as a maritime base.

Dave

L-J: Yes, the Spams ARE nicer than most people make out, aren't they?

Ivan: I wouldnn't ever want to be on an airliner in front of my air superiority type cover, no matter how good my defensive suite might be. Let's not get carried away now <g>
(And anyone who ever read the Nimrod self defence manual would know how splendid our defensive tactics might be... I speak as an ex- Nim defensive suite T-CAT by the way).