PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 16:10
Fortissimo

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Winco

I fail to see why you think that CAS, ACAS and the AOC should resign, nor do I begin to understand why you think it acceptable to effectively accuse CAS of having lied to his audience at KSS -as you do by suggesting the argument was not fought as CAS stated.

The AOC has only been in post a month and can hardly be held accountable for a decision taken in MOD by other people. Please tell me how his leaving post will help matters apart from handing the job to the runner-up in the selection process?

CAS and ACAS (and their AFB colleagues) have spent the last few months fighting an existential battle for the RAF. I don't suppose either gentleman is particularly thrilled with the outcome and they would probably have preferred the status quo ante, but it was not their call. The big decisions were taken, following advice from the joint level and the service heads, by the politicians, who are after all supposed to be in charge of the military in our democracy. It's called cabinet government. You can't simply deduce that CAS' position must have been ignored by the PM/Govt because the decision went the other way - most difficult political decisions end up trying to balance strong but conflicting arguments. It is certainly not a reason for people to resign in a fit of pique.

At a time when we are facing restructuring, redundancies and other changes TBD under the Defence Reform banner, your apparent desire to see the entire RAF senior leadership fall on its collective sword makes no sense at all. I presume that you are making similar demands of the Navy leadership for their failure to fully protect the current and planned surface fleet? Do you suppose the RN was happy to see MRA4 go by the wayside? And no doubt CGS ought to resign too, because he certainly would not have been advocating 7000 redundancies, withdrawal from Germany and the halving of his heavy armour capability.

For the record, I do not agree with the decision to bin the MRA4, nor the with the loss of the Harrier fleet. And I don't agree with your unworthy slurs on the integrity of CAS - if he can stand in front of the KSS audience, look people in the eye and tell them what happened, then that is good enough for me. If you have firm evidence to the contrary please bring it on. If all you have is your own supposition or some wild conspiracy theory, best keep it to yourself.