PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier Pilot attacks Prime Minister on cuts
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 13:16
BarbiesBoyfriend

Nigegilb

I suspect we'd agree on a few things. I'm sorry to see the Harriers (and Shars too) gone.

Shame about the Nimrods, Jags and Sentinel too. The carriers/ JSF issue is just comical and as for 'renewing' the Trident boats? Let's not even go there.

We are no longer, sadly, in charge of our Empire and I think we ought to wind our collective military necks in.

UK forces are paid for from tax- by taxpayers (and soldiers, sailors and airmen are NOT taxpayers, whatever 'deductions' you see on the payslip).

We are paying for Defence. Not offence, policekeeping, Nation building or plain Foreign intervention/ adventure.

Harriers on Carriers do little to protect the Country that could not be done by UK land based aircraft.
On the other hand, they're ideal for a bit of 'power projection- like the new carriers....

I don't blame this pilot for shooting his mouth off, hey- I'd probably do the same in his shoes, maybe even utter the immortal words....

I think Cameron is re-jigging the UK military Forces with a less interventionist policy very much in mind.

There are many who'd support him on that score.