PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting out in Dubai- Good places for hobbies/friends?
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 12:42
givemewings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting out in Dubai- Good places for hobbies/friends?

Hi, first post here so please be nice!!

I'm new to Dubai & I wanted to get some advice from expats already living here about good places to do/see things and to meet people. I tried using the search function but it brings up a lot of discussion on T&Cs, housing, salaries, that sort of thing.

I've been here about 5 months now and am starting to despair of finding some nice people to spend time with! I'm working currently as cabin crew and am finding with the lifestyle in Dubai it's difficult to make friends unless you want to go out clubbing and drinking on your days off. This isn't really my thing, though I don't mind the odd night out, and I'd really like to know how you all got on when you first moved here. I have a couple of friends who I knew before moving here, but would like to increase my social circle a bit.

While living here I'd like to actually get to see some of the local culture and surrounding areas rather than just the inside of Zinc. Time Out Dubai is a good way to start to find places to go but I'm interested in PEOPLE. With my job I tend to only meet people who are crew. That's fine but by virtue of the lifestyle a lot of people are very flighty and plans are easily made & broken, your friends work away so are never home when you are and I'm not sure where to start to make some friends who aren't working in the airlines. Are there any expat clubs, associations etc that are a good starting point? (FYI, I'm late 20's Aussie)

I also have an interest in flying and would like to make some friends with that in common also, but sadly it seems that as soon as you show any interest in that side of things on a flight, everyone assumes you're trying to pick up on the pilots Basically, just want some ideas on where you started out and maybe some fun hobbies/sports I could take up easily in Dubai that I haven't thought of which could be a starting point to make new friends here. (Any of you have a mrs who is bored and wants a shopping/sightseeing companion? ) Cheers for any suggestions

(Sorry moderators if this isn't the right place)