PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Damages to A320 IDG
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 12:35
JenCluse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So simple! ?

PJ2

Your FAA certification guy obviously had very many training runs in the sim to even attempt* a real landing in that grossly depreciated control mode. Hydraulics? Oh. You need hydraulics too?. Gosh, I wonder if that belly bomb/fire/tyre blow has managed to miss the hydraulics?

On my initial A320 way back, 10 out of twelve med/high time skippers pranged the sim in that mode. One long time DC9 skipper (old friend) was so out of touch with underslung engine pitch/pwr coupling that he couldn't crack it, was failed, took to the bottle, and finally killed himself after the wife walked out. That's another form of pwr coupling.

I won't go into why anyone would design an aircraft like this when the Vickers Viscount 900 /a.k.a. DC9/ aka Boeing 717 use(d) unpowered direct coupled floating servo controls and were totally and absolutely 100% controllable under all power (or non-pwr) situations, but I was so very glad to have the Oz pilot's dispute see me off the A-320. I said then, and stand by what I said now, having been a radio erk before I flew, that when things started to wear on those beautifully cockpit-ed (sic) aircraft, and the connectors, connections & hydraulics started to corrode, as well built as the aircraft were it would be good to be somewhere else other than on an Airbus.

Whoops. Sorry. Just had to get that off my chest.

Everyone back to the thread.