PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of the FAA
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 07:49
high spirits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque Limited,
You are right, the decision will probably be driven by finance. That does not make it right, but we are stone cold broke to the tune of £38 billion. Your facts are very skewed but I'm sure you know that by now from some of the vitriol that has come your way. The serviceability and amount of tasking arguments are incomparable. 2 different aircraft from 2 different generations. The 35 trained RAF crews have, however, earned their spurs(as you put it) in theatre and have done a damn fine job.

If value for money is your argument then you lose aswell. The Merlin pilot is infinately cheaper to train. Sims are still expensive but compare the OCU costs. Approx 5% of jungly sim to 95% aircraft time on the course. Merlin, 2/3rds sim to 1/3 ac time. Compare hours flown per year in the ac versus the sim for both fleets and you will find that the established Merlin crews are much better value for money.

Incidentally, I don't believe in the willy waving. I think the junglies do a damn good job with limited resource. I don't however believe that the ethos is any different.

However, JHC already has 35 trained Merlin crews.....