PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Career in the AAC?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2010, 23:33
piggybank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Career in the AAC?

A Career in the AAC?

I am a serving soldier in the Royal Engineers. I am now thinking of transferring across to the Army Air Corps to fly helicopters. Does anyone know how enjoyable this would be, quality of life, tour life, treatment etc? Do pilots get treated with more respect and better living conditions than that of a regular soldier? Has anyone transferred across and done the pilots course?

Thanks!
I was with REME detached to the Air Corps. REME used to be the only permanent part of the Army Air Corps, everyone else, the gunners and pilots seemed to be on short term detachments.

I cannot say the pilots get more or less respect. They are seen for what they are, someone with a much needed skill. As an NCO pilot you will get quite passable pay, if you get a commission your pay will be eaten up by uniforms and mess bills.

I left a long time back, 1973, but I do remember a Captain remarking to me that my money in the hand was more at the end of the month than what he had.

I was on the team that trained the pilots in ‘combat’ use of the helicopter and certainly the pilots, commissioned and non-commissioned tackled their tasks with great enthusiasm.

What is your long term plan? The Army will not always want you, nor need you the way cuts are going. My parting remark must be make sure you have a second string to your bow (another sellable skill) for when you do not make the medical or the market for pilots goes too lean to pay your bills.