PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Full T/O power on take off!
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2010, 22:13
john_tullamarine

Received 113 Likes on 73 Posts
we were concerned that on short flights where TO-2 was used with a large Assumed Temperature, pilots might press TOGA to obtain Full Thrust, and lose control

.. an extremely valid point.

Which is why, if the operator is going to permit, and pilots are intending to do .. the increase throttle thing ... the sim program should look at critical speed/thrust failures lest the real event create more excitement than the typical pilot might deem appropriate.

Around 10 years ago, I was involved with a 732 contract training task where the operator had an aerodrome from which a routine positioning flight was made at very light weight .. and used a min weight/speed schedule. However, just about all the remaining flying was done at high V2 overspeed speed schedules. You guessed it - their sim program ignored the odd man out aerodrome.

For interest, I had several crews (who volunteered) to have a looksee at the min speed situation (not even involving increasing throttle settings - this was for set throttle and leave it alone). As I recall, in every case, the aircraft (sim) departed from controlled flight. All the pilots were quite able to get on top of the problem with a couple of practice runs.

However, the point was made very clearly - don't do your first time practice on the line with a real failure ....

1) by the assumed temp entered in the FMS for derated thrust T/O or
2) is it limited by max ITT or,
3) is it limited by maximum rated thrust regardless of ITT

(1) flex should never be limiting - if you really want to do so you can advance to the derate setting

(2) probably won't be limiting for a derated takeoff

(3) is the answer we are looking at providing "max thrust" refers to the derate level. For a derated takeoff, the rated thrust is the derate value, not the thrust rating for nil derate. Derate is analogous to changing engines, flex is just operating at part throttle.

Caveat - ITT limit is always limiting if ITT were to get to that temperature.