PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - hour building / tour of America
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2010, 20:56
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Create your own "hour building package", or google what others offer and tailor their plan to your own needs.
I can recommend Chandler Air Service out in Chandler, Arizona for what you want. Use the flying time wisely, not just AtoB following lines on a GPS. Here's a thought, how about practicing what you'll do for your CPL? Loads of uncontrolled airports their to go and do circuits at, practice performance takeoffs, glide approaches, flapless landings etc. Do some airwork, do some radio-nav (but be careful around Stanfield VOR, it gets busy). Do what the heck you want, and critique yourself... Did you land on the centerline? Did you land exactly where you wanted along the runway? How short a short-field approach can you make? (I set myself a challenge of landing at a local airport called "Phoenix Regional" and being stopped by the first taxiway - without flat-spotting the tires! )

You will get plenty of time with an instructor, as you'll need a Flight Review, then a "mountain checkout" to rent with them.
So you'll do at least 3-6 hours ground/air with one of their competent instructors before they let you loose to go off and hire their airplanes.

Go out there and enjoy it. I had more fun, and think I improved my flying skills better by staying local and doing my own air work such as steep turns, slow flight, stalls etc... Flying long distances in straight lines isn't all that interesting, and won't do a lot for your aircraft handling. It might make you feel more competent with your Navigation though, and it's always nice to see new places.
Furthest I went out there was Palm Springs in California, as far North as the Grand Canyon, and as far South as Tuscon. I've flown straight over Sky Harbor, which was nice... and even right over the top of the entire Phoenix Class B at 10,500'. Have a look at SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts and the Phoenix charts to get a good idea of what's going on out there. Also a good opportunity to do your CPL cross-country while you're out there. I went with two other mates at the time, but there were always "foreigners" kicking about there to buddy up with and discuss/plan trips with.

You really need to be getting your 61.75 validation underway now, and Chandler might be getting pretty busy for aircraft availability at this time of year. They will work around you though if you're only there for a limited time, and to try ensure you have an aircraft available for the duration of your stay.

If you have any more questions that you can't find an answer to, just ask.