PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Large Influx of Military Pilots ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2010, 18:16
Lafyar Cokov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever his initial comments were about - this last post from SA isn't wrong - as an ex-mil now commercial airline pilot myself I can concur that, for many of the airlines who employ a large amount of pilots in the UK, experience is considered a liability rather than an asset. Experienced pilots - be they ex-mil or civvies - are not considered cost effective; decades of safety cultures where experience was sought-after have generally been dropped in favour of cheap, happy to pay youngsters who are so desperate to climb into the right hand seat of a Boeing or Airbus that they will not only pay for their own type ratings up front - but will then pay to fly paying passengers for the first few hundred hours and subsequently work for next to nothing just to keep flying. The accountants think this is a blessing and obviously have greater say than the flight safety departments at each airline.

I think when many military pilots do leave they may well find the reception not as welcoming as they would have done 5 years ago. There maybe some companies where this is not the case - but even BA are currently not looking to re-start the RAFCARS scheme. NetJets was one employer who did seem to like ex mil - but with their somewhat exuberant recruitment drive of 2 years ago - and sudden drawdown - I can't see them taking on pilots for a good 4-5 years.

This is not in any way a great situation - most military pilots do actually go down very well in civvy street - despite the odd prat who thinks he knows it all when he arrives - and the experience we bring - as long as we realise it isn't necessarily better than the experience other pilots reaching the front of an airliner have - is useful and valued.

Interesting times for all!