PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ALDERNEY
Thread: ALDERNEY
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2010, 05:21
fudpucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AM. Quite true, but consider there was no opposition and a grass runway. At the first opportunity they tried to get a larger aircraft operating the route.VB; what you say is true, you could operate a Tornado as a passenger aircraft, but the ticket cost would be astronomical, wouldn't it? I would therefore say that a Tornado would make an uneconomic pax aircraft. Aurigny tried an Otter, but couldn't make it pay. Why? Operating costs were such that the ticket price had to go up or they operated at a loss. The Scillies run? There is a very short strip which requires a STOL aircraft, Otters or Islanders. Routes like that you can charge higher prices. Having lived (briefly) and operated frequently (oh those luvverly winter days with the howling crosswinds and the entertaining turbulence departing off 26) in and out of ACI for a couple of companies, I can say with certainty that the ACI-ites are very price conscious. Jack up the prices and loads will plummet. Plummeting loads= higher ticket price or go bust. Alternatively, you can charge a lower price and hope to fill the aircraft; everybody thinks it's wonderful but the net result is lower ticket prices= go bust. Seen it, done it, got the T shirt. Oh, before anybody mentions Ryanair, they have a few more seats to play around with so can offer a wide range of discounted tickets.
PS
AM, not flying now, I'm sailing. Much better if slightly slower