PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why no helo transport? Are we condemning our diggers to an easy victimology?
Old 20th Oct 2010, 21:30
500N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7x7
" How long before Australia faces similar Defence cuts to the ones now being faced by the Brits? (See the many threads running on this same board since David Cameron's announcement.)

For those who think it'll never happen, let me mention one name... "Bob Brown". (And if there's anyone out there who thinks Defence will survive at the expense of Social Welfare and Environmental Protection projects, I have a bridge you might like buy...)

And after the spending cuts are in, I ask the AAAvn people out there what they'd rather be operating? Equipment that costs $5,000 an hour to operate or equipment that costs $35,000 an hour to operate?"

What makes you say the above ?

It's not like Australia is short of money - at least while the commodities boom continues. If that ends, then it will be a different story.

I can understand Bob Brown using his political leverage to get more money for his Latte sipping agenda and defence just might have to fight a bit harder to get money for projects, although I feel jobs in local areas will determine more than a few decisions along that track.

Bushranger
Interesting point Greg made re the helicopters. I wonder how much effort is being made by the Senior people in the ADF to supress that type of link between assets on hand and deployability ?