PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2010, 20:47
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cy Rose

Thanks Savoia ... for the super B206 recollections and pictures. Great stuff. But then to be reminded of the gent of helicopter aviation, Cy Rose. Cy was a great Enstrom man and operated G-BAWI (serial 120) for many years out of his home just off the M40. He part-exed this Enstrom with me for a turbo 28C and I'm guessing circa 1980 ish. His son Greg, was a highly talented clay/ceramics sculptor and who actually built a copy of a Ford Thunderbird in glass fibre (no joking.) He even made the chrome mouldings, I last saw the car at Cy's home. Greg learned to fly at BEAS Oxford on the Brantly B2B. Can't recall his FI but Greg was having a lesson with him when the M/R blade left the head. His instructor was sadly killed.

Back to the Enstrom, as Spooner Aviation later sold G-BAWI to the Lotus ace, Colin Chapman. I flew the machine for delivery into his Sunseeker base on the river. Then many years later, (1983 I think) I personally purchased from him the now well known, all-Back B206, G-AYTF in Team Lotus ... Gold Leaf colours & JPS Logo. (John Player Special for the smokers out there.)

Cy Rose was one of two 'founder Members' of the HCGB, the other being the Brewery owner, Tony Everard ... all about mid 1960s I'd guess.

Keep the trivia going guys ... but for we COF's ... so interesting. Dennis Kenyon.