Thread: Enstrom Corner
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2010, 20:13
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enstrom FX

Hi Earl,

Yes, I also take the view that the 280FX version is the prettiest airframe Menominee has produced, and the swept back T/R end plates solved the occasional 'fishtailing' of the ealier models. Many in the industry still 'slag off' the type, but as been observed here, if the Enstrom is well maintained by a type knowledgable and experienced LAE, it makes a great personal helicopter. Good looking, good handling, quiet with reasonable economy for a 100 mph, three seater.

When I introduced the type to the European market in 1972 for my boss Roy Spooner, we experienced plenty of hostility from some quarters, that being a prime reason for my commencing a programme of flying displays around the country which the type does particularly well. My mid 1970s Farnborough display sequences certainly stopped a lot of the knocking.

Loved Earl of R's movie of the FX flying around the Twin-County Airport at Menominee, but you should see the place in mid winter. While on a sales meeting with the former owner, F Lee Bailey, I once saw minus 40 degrees on the OAT ... now that was cold and the Enstrom blades were cutting through the cold air like a hot knife through butter.

There were some great characters there in those days, Herb Moseley in engineering, that super saxophonist Paul Schultz in design, and of course Dave Brandt in engineering support. Not to forget pilot Paul Harrington and the test pilots Mike Meger and Mott Stanchfield who got me started on the display flying.

A small story some might like. Around 1985, F Lee Bailey stayed at my home while visiting Farnborough. I introduced my four-year old son Dennis to the great man. F Lee was being chatty and said to him ... "I'm told you can fly an Enstrom." My son adopted a flying pose as he shook and rapidly rotated his cyclic hand . "Oh yes ... Dad often gives lets me touch the controls!" he replied.

Thanks goodness they didn't all fly like that!

Happy flying to all Enstrom owners. Dennis Kenyon.