PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPLH and colour vision deficiency
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2010, 13:46
dan the man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPLH and colour vision deficiency

Can anyone out there tell me whether a CPL H can be obtained by someone with a colour vision deficiency. I realise that a class 1 medical needs to be obtained before going down the CPL route but wondered whether a restriction can be applied. I have a PPL A and know that certainly for fixed wing, it is possible to get a restricted CPL. The problem is that it is so restricted that it is of little use in the real world where there are pilots out there with no restrictions applying for the same job. My (possibly incorrect!) theory is that as heli operations tend to be more aerial work as opposed to public transport, then maybe there is a chance for someone like me who is colour blind. From the info i have read, an instrument rating isn't nesessarily required (as it is in fixed wing) for alot of daytime VFR ops in the commercial helicopter world, is this true. I'm getting on a bit (41) but have my own business, the idea would be to fly in between my work, ie not rely on earning a living from flying, but fly when the work was there.
I won't go on any more as the term 'colour blind' has a tendency to cut conversations short when it comes to flying for a living, any advice would be welcome.
Appologies if this has already been covered previously but i did look and didn't find anything...honest!