PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2010, 10:08
40&80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend to agree with Granpa....
Two Cardiac Consultants... passengers on my L1011 asked if they could review my GF rosters...this was in 1988.
Later they advised me age 45 was a good time to pack it all in....long East West... min. day rest... East again night flights particularly.
They did not like the increasingly being constructed long haul max duty min rest type of rosters ...that were being used increasingly throughout the airline industry...and importantly they were seeing the results.
They said then that this type of "efficient" roster that my company GF was seeking to achieve... contained..." A lot of built in... premature mortality"

Having said that...
What they would have thought of my later rosters with B767 two man crew...12hours max. duty extended to 16 at Captains discretion..with 70% through 3.00am..plus 9hours at the hotel rest when appropriate...with 20 to 24 hours rest max. as a policy...with 6 days off in 28 beggars believe.

When I read the ultra long haul hours flown today even with augmented crew I am glad I was terminated at age 60 in My 2000.
In my case the consultants predictions were "nearly correct"... I did receive but thanks to the Norfolk NHS para medics and their clot buster drug survived the much anticipated "Roster" heart attack.
Like most pilots...I blame the management...and not myself!