PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 20th Oct 2010, 09:31
Juan Tugoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One wonders how many CC will vote on this proposal given the apparent disinterest shown on the last consultative ballot
It is a truism that the people that vote are those that are politically engaged. I think it is also fair to say that the strikers are politically engaged - they were the ones who were prepared to make a potentially self-harming stand for their beliefs. It takes little imagination to work out that there will be a strong vote from the strikers. It remains to be seen whether the, usually, uninterested masses can be motivated enough to take part.

It is worthwhile remembering that this is not is not another strike ballot but rather a consultative ballot on whether or not to accept the latest deal. A strike ballot may follow but there remains the problem of which issue to choose for a strike ballot. As has been pointed out in this thread many times, it will have to be a new issue for there to be "protected" strike action.

As I understand, and I may well be wrong, you cannot ballot over things that have not yet happened, so a ballot on MF cannot happen until after 1 Nov. A weeks notice of the ballot and a 3 week consultation process and then a weeks notice of IA to the company would still allow a Christmas strike. However, as there has been no formal grievance or failure to agree etc over MF then I think this could easily be blocked by BA at court for failure of due process. I doubt UNITE would risk another embarrassing injunction blocked strike because they have not done things by the book.

Back to the original point though, turnout for this consultative ballot will be critical. Too small and the union position can be easily seen as very weak, BASSA need a good turn out.