PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding.... waste of time or good news??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2001, 20:36
SKYYACHT

Red face

008, I must take issue with you regarding your statement that the RAF will pay for all your flying/transport costs. I have been witht the RAFVR for many years, and I can assure you that if your intention is to be a part of a school in order to "enjoy yourself, and bag a load of free hours" then you will soon be "sussed" The VGS system is run by volunteers, most of whom give their time freely. The RAF may pay your expenses to/from the RAF base and you MAY getsome flying once in a while, whilst you involve yourself in the actual running of the school; Furthermore you have to demonstrate commitment and integrity BEFORE they take you on as a trainee instructor. Additionally, the schools are run for the benefit of Air Cadets, and your needs will always be subservient to theirs. I joined the RAFVR(T) as an instructor because I wanted to put back in what I took out, when I was a Cadet.

However, Gliding is a great skill, and a great social leveler. Have you ever listened to an eminent heart surgeon discussing the finer points of thermaling with a Cleaner?

Tailwinds all!