PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR - The alternative view...
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2010, 23:34
The B Word

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
TOTD

the RN SK5s are all about to be scrapped, and the E-3 is highly unlikely to see use as a SAR C2 platform due to the difficulty of holding a high readiness (I was told this by an E-3 wallah recently). Even if they managed to get on scene, they would be nowhere near as proficient at providing top cover as a Nimrod crew due to lack of experience/training at the role
Ok, how about Merlin HAS1 (or are they called HM1 yet?) - sorry forgot the SK pingers were OSD soon. As for readiness for E-3D - 120 is readily achievable, I know, I've done it! (can do 60 at a push or even 30 from the jet - with crew fatigue limfacs). On scene they have a multitude of HF/VHF/UHF/SATCOM plus AUTOCAT and datalinks - plus they have qualified controllers to control rescue helicopters and aircraft using one of the most powerful surveillance radars you can get. C2 is the E-3D's raison-d'etre and so I see no issues. As for experience, I would estimate the average E-3D crew has 3 or 4 ex-Nimrod guys on board its normal crew of 18. The trouble for the E-3D is that they can't be everywhere at once so if you task it for SAR standby then you can't sit QRA, go to Afghanistan or do normal NATO AEW duties (and the odd Red Flag etc...) - too few crews and not enough aircraft. I guess the planners will need to decide where the priority lay?