PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enstrom Corner
Thread: Enstrom Corner
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2010, 20:46
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enstrom 28A

Just a small point re the non-turbo Enstrom 28 & 280 models ... I've been hearing for almost forty years they are underpowered. Not quite correct I'm afraid as the Lycoming 360 cubic inches 'A' series engine produces 205 BHP. (Compare the equivalent Hughes 300 360 cubic inch 'D' Lycoming at 190 BHP!)

The problem is the A model is overweight! Typically around 1650 lbs WPS being 400 to 500 lbs more than a SH 300. Even so she is a nice tight ship, well harmonised controls ... but the three big warts are the heavy collective, the poor throttle/lever co-relation and blade delamination on the early blades. Autos not far off a 206, never been a fatal in the UK in 40 years, big 5feet wide cabin, separate 60 lb luggage locker, can produce extreme manoeuvres safely. (a 360 degree low level loop is a standard manoeuvre in my display sequence - but don't try at home without guidance) cruise at around 100 mph, top speed 112mph, range can be 250 to 280 sm. In fact I often used to wonder why anyone bought anything else! AND - you can still get one for £30k or thereabouts. Similar year 300 will bring double that.

Be happy to expound on the above for a serious purchaser but I'm no longer into sales.

Safe flying to all types out there. Dennis Kenyon.