PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leeds Heliport (1980s)?
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2010, 19:20
johnbairstow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a blast from the past

Yes Loudone, I know of John Bairstow, I believe he was at Heli-Leeds 78/79 before running off with a crop spraying outfit, it's me . I remember having to install a tail rotor securing bolt 10 times by Brian because I could not get the split pin "just right", I remember servicing NiCad batteries, trying to make a good battery out of duff cells, I remember spraying that duff polish into the heater in the hangar and running for cover when the unit fired up, best of all I remember Wally. Having mellowed a bit with age he was a rogue, but there were some good points. Remember the fuse on the hour meter, what about the secret washers on the intercom in the office, that even if you pulled the plug out he could listen in from his kitchen. I remember the days on the shot blast machine trying to remove dust as we didn't have decent grit and going home glowing due to being soaked with mag flux dye using a machine that was pre industrial revolution, and everything was sprayed with waxoil, because he had a similar deal to the Avon one. Remember that old RAF trolly-ac, flat wheels and flat batteries. That 206A with 206B engine covers, problem was the transmission oil filler didn't line up with the flap in the cover, so best way to top up was with a milk bottle (clean of course), I was the one caught by the CAA inspector topping up with the milk bottle, back to team making I seem to remember.

There were some magic pleasure flight days, I remember flying with Nick back from Hull and going into the airway to see if the transponder I had "fixed" worked, we never found out as the radio gave up. Then there was Ptolemy I seem to remember ex Army type. Alex was the ex RN engineer, took over when Brian left, lots of tales I seem to remember of days on the Ark Royal.

I stayed in the aviation indstry till around 89, after going to uni and spending what seemed an age with Brit Aero, then found the underwater defence industry was more fun and the electronics more my line (even after getting a degree in aeronautical engineering). I have had the odd glider and a 150 aerobat over the years, I now find the boat is more my line, still the other week had to replace the throttle cable on the port motor, and guess what my split pin skills were called upon again, I hope Brian was watching, it was perfect first time.

Happy days