PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier Pilot attacks Prime Minister on cuts
Old 19th Oct 2010, 15:16
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm totally with Lt Cdr Ward.

Please see 'youtube' the 2 Johns re Admirals v surface fleet numbers...

If anyone who knows me reads this, they'll know I am not a pilot, but a fan of, and experienced working with, the aircraft.

That being said, can't see a great loss in the Sidewinder only GR9, compared to FA2 or as I keep whinging, 2+, both with AMRAAM.

I suppose they'll argue the Appache is nearly as capable or the ships ( what God-Awful names ! ) can carry someone elses's air wing.

The Earth is slightly off axis at the moment as Churchill, Drake and Nelson are all spinning in their graves ( C' Douglas Adams ).

One can only hope the rumours of vaguely quickly operational ( yes I know what's involved and my eyebrows are just above the stratosphere too ) FA2's or even GR9's are true.

Also I note Illustrious is notable by her absence of being mentioned, and one ditty on the news reckoned the Queen Elizabeth would be 'sold or mothballed' once POW comes along.

If we're going for just 40F-35C's, Christ knows what the unit price works out at, and what about the money spent on the development of the 'B' ? I rather expect someone else will benefit from that.

If 'Ark Royal' is to be scrapped - not sold mind you - tomorrow, I'll offer £5.00, I reckon I can see a market for her...

It's been a common thread in history since a moment after the Wright Brothers that the FAA gets shafted, right up to the point they're desperately needed; and not just by the RAF, Admirals who value air power above their own careers are rarer than hens' teeth; what was I saying about the '2 John's' sketch ?!