PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Licence conversion
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2002, 17:54
ipanema

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Boss here doesn't want commercial endorsements, so I would just direct you to see another thread here...
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61110
and my own participation there as regards the written examinations.

With the biggest possible loss of money in having to fly straight and level for long periods to get to a navaid to do your training and/or check, the best place I know for multi IFR work is Winnipeg and Perimeter Aviation (it can take as long as 25 minutes _each_way_ to fly from Buttonville around - not through - the Toronto TCA to Hamilton to do your instrument work!)

Lower levels of commercial traffic at Winnipeg International, several runways and virtually no obstacles make it an ideal location (I was there in 1972 and again last year).

Perimeter also work with an SOP method - very good for airline indoctrination - and there are a few hotels nearby who give good rates for the student pilots on the airport.

$3,500 is probably a bit high, but like all training it all depends on your currency and how you deal with the change in scenery and ability to memorise the new procedures and adapt to the new aircraft. You can contact them directly by email with a little searching on the Net (I suspect giving their address here would be pushing my luck).

With an overseas employer pushing my deadlines to get current again I found myself wasting time trying to learn how to balance the log on the pin-head in the Jeppesen simulator computer (at 1/3 the airplane cost), so after two hours there I insisted on training in the aircraft and that worked for me.

They use TravelAirs (underpowered Barons), which are well equipped (DME, GPS, autopilot) and easy to fly but are very cramped. You need to organise yourself in the cockpit and have everything available to hand.

Good luck...