PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2010, 09:09
vfr440

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spraying oop North (awae wi' you, Jimee!)

Dennis, I remember the '70s spraying days only too well. I was 'oop-North' with Heli-Scot and 2 x Hiller 12Es, and in addition to yourself, $$ and others (especially Management Avn, subsequently Bond) who were extreme competition especially in the Borders area. Lucky you to get £4/acre - those Scottish farmers wouldn't go a half-penny above £3.50 However there were two unfailing benefits to the work, the Scottish falling-down water, and the Azulex (Azulam?) spraying for bracken at the end of August. Pure unbridled legal low flying and the chemical absolutely NOT toxic. As opposed to some of the other stuff with an organo-phospherous content - nerve gas to those who are unfamiliar with the product!!

However, it was hard work. Flying super early (at first light) before the wind got up, IF all was OK. But the trials and tribulations of having the support crew and truck at teh same location (no Sat Navs then!!), then the spray gear would go U/S; or the helicopter would. Or both and the wind would turn to a howling rainstorm. I've been on Rannoch Moor, abandoned by everybody, with stair-rods for rain (and Hiller doors don't keep much rain out either I discovered) and the final absurdity, of a seagull blown in from the West Coast, that landed on, and put its beak under its wing and quit flying for the day. What ever did we think we could achieve?

Now you understand the fondness for the Scottish falling-down water. One final remembered moment. West Coast of Scotland, somewhere South of Oban on a rainy day in May or June. We pitch up for the night at a very definitely up-market Country/Golf club establishement. Tie the machine down and enter the foyer, "When does the bar close?" I ask. "End of October" was the reply...........!

More Fred Slippage there but it IS nostalgia, and sadly those of today do not have the opportunities to enjoy (?) such frivolity. Safe flying, ~ VFR