PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 19th Oct 2010, 00:00
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
BHR

Where did I mention UK only operations in my last post? I was pointing out that because certain things are not needed today does not mean they will not needed in the future. Yes, that will include during coalition operations.

I, unlike you, do not pretend to be able to predict the future. You say we cannot forsee x or y happening, therefore we don't need to have the means to deal with them. I say we cannot say that they will not happen, so better safe than sorry. Next you'll be saying that we should get rid of the Police as we cannot predict who tommorow's criminals are - except that we can, it'll be today's criminals as Ken Clarke has closed the prisons.

Typhoon is quite a good example. Some may argue that it was designed for the Cold War, to counter 80s/90s MiGs. Yet 80s/90s MiGs have been widely exported, including to many countries hostile to the West. Therefore it is increasingly probable that such aircraft will be encountered in the future. Even a handful of MiGs would be a game changer if we had no fighters. I guess that would be assymetry - but the other way round. Likewise other supposed Cold War threats - such as tanks or submarines.

I wonder to what extent the SDSR will have been influenced by public opinion? In turn, how much influence does the shockingly low standard of defence reporting in the media influence things?