PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2010, 21:16
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-BALT

Hi 'S' .... just to answer your queries ... The G-BALT piccy of the F28A was indeed the machine I learned on circa 1973 with Bill (Norman) Bailey DFM. That's obviously the Norman Senior. Bill was contracted to Spooner Aviation at Shoreham to run our Enstrom flying school - mainly for Enstrom purchasers since part of the deal for sales was the purchase price included the cost of the PPL. She was £22,500 new in those days and how well I recall my quirky sales advert of an Enstrom sailing above an M1 traffic jam with the caption ... "Aren't you above all that.' It sure worked 'cos I sold 138 Enstroms from 1973 to 1982 when I left Shoreham to start my company, Skyline Helicopters at Booker. I remember your visit with Col Bob about 1983 was it?

In the early 1972 I held a fixed wing ATPL (being ex service) so all I needed in those days was 300 hours rotary, then 1200 hours for the ATPL(H). No exams at all but there was a CPL flight test which was done with Don Sissons at Redhill. (another 1970s name.) My first attempt at a full stop EOL missed the training square target so Don allowed me a second go. I missed again to which he said "Is this type a difficult machine to autorotate?" Knowing he had zilch hours on type I suggested he had a go when he promply plonked the bloody thing down absolutely dead centre. But he passed me. The PPL (H) course then was 35 hours for a CAA approved school so 30 hours for a fixed wing licence holder.

I got my CPL by flying the 300 hours on the Enstrom in my ten months ... entirely sales demonstrations. Spoonair then had an 'Approved Operations Manual' to carry out public transport work. (no AOCs then!) A Spoonair subsidiary was 'Air Taxis International' and if you see pictures of Enstrom 280, G-BENO you will see the ATI logo and word print on both doors. Log book check shows my first public transport flight was to Battersea in Feb 1974 on Bell 206, G-BBEG.

Here's a final quirk. About 1974 or 75, I found myself sitting in the Shoreham clubroom one Sunday afternoon but it may have been a Saturday. I suddenly remarked to one of the pilots, Its Grand Prix day at Silverstone so why don't we fly up and watch the race. We jumped into the Enstrom and 45 mins later landed in the centre of Silverstone where we met Pat Moss on her little two seat Bolkow fixed wing. No pre-arrival clearance, no PPR, we just went and watched and didn't even get charged admission!!!! Not even sure if there was a Silverstone radio then.

Last time I flew in professionally would have been 1993 when after a squillion holding orbits at the horse racing track, I was told by Dave Ward .. you're number seventeen to land. Happy days!