PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bye Bye CEA.
Thread: Bye Bye CEA.
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2010, 10:44
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
CEA - the Arguments Don't Stack Up

I am at a remote overseas posting and there are no local English-language schools for our son. We knew that when I was told about the prospect of moving here. Accordingly our son remains at a minor Public School in England and we spend a shed-load to get him here for half-terms etc. There was not an option...or is there? Arguably the appointment could be filtered to remove those with school age children, thus saving the Department about GBP 20,000 a year (and me a lot, to boot). Some diplomatic posts are already screened because of environmental and security conditions. My previous 2 tours were in London (married unaccompanied) so we made use of CEA rather than move to London and fight to get son into a decent school. Although it was a difficult decision to send him boarding, it is a decision we would not have begun to consider without the availability of CEA. In sum, and inasmuch as I would like to defend CEA, I feel that its days are numbered for the majority of applicants. Whatever we feel about its utility, the vast majority of the great unwashed and much of the Civil Service see it as unnecessary, socially divisive and anachronistic.