PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Court Requires CVR Disclosure
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2010, 02:58
fdr

Received 862 Likes on 258 Posts
Angry CVRM???

Shell shock: Whatever is being smoked there in Amsterdam, don't take it to Singapore...

I am trying to envisage what the algorithm for screening would look like that would not result in massive manual intervention in the data reduction. Even on completion of that task, assuming we are talking about RPT carriers where the bulk of public risk exists... regional ops, where the largest number of movements exist... etc.

If the intent is just to invade the cockpit and have a pretense of management involvement (interference) in the day to day operation, I think it would be seen as such. Yes, non adherence of sterile cockpit is on occasion coincident with an event, but it is not often the cause of the event directly, merely (arguably..) a symptom of cockpit discipline at the relevant time. There are other simpler methods of identifying operational discipline, that exist and do work already. FOQA. etc.

Frankly, I would think there as much to be gained by placing a CVR in the office of the Accountable Manager and Co, (accountant, safety manager, training manager, scheduler, dispatcher, airport manager, etc) those people who make decisions that affect the balance of commercial imperatives v safety standards, which as often as not results in the crew being placed in invidious circumstances, and making operational compromises which they are then responsible for, all for the grand renumeration of, what, minimum wage for Colgan? F/O's on welfare? Heck, I would be happy if those people had initial and recurrent training on the impact of their actions on operational and public risk.

Now, Shell game, in your case, feel free to pull the CVR for your fleet and charter ops. Should keep you amused for hours. Certainly will endear you to the crews that you show so little faith in.

Safety Cases? worked for the oil & gas programs.... Piper Alpha, Exxon Valdez,Amoco Cadiz, Torrey Canyon, Ixtoc I, lexander L. Kielland, Seacrest, Ocean Ranger... Texas City, Alon USA etc... your (Shell Manglement's) industry is a high risk industry, but as often as not the errors are systemic, with the poor sod on the firing (literally) line being merely the last point of failure, and often as not, the first to die. To that extent there is a commonality to aviation's inherent risk.

At some point management needs to get their foot off the throat of the people they have placed in untenable positions, and look closely in the mirror, and honestly review their culpability in outcomes. Recently, the ambivalent attitude of the oil industry to safety was evident to the public, with the CEO of a major taking time off to go sailing in the midst of a record setting environmental disaster, the result of the corporations desires for returns to investors, and bonuses to bosses... Tape your own offices, and let the professional aircrew got on with their duties. IMHO.

The people who are regarded as moral luminaries are those who forego ordinary pleasures themselves and find compensation in interfering with the pleasures of others. Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

Last edited by fdr; 18th Oct 2010 at 03:24.