PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P1/P2 definitive answer to "time logging" question???
Old 17th Oct 2010, 22:28
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by BackPacker

Only in a multi-crew aircraft can anyone ever log P2. For single-crew aircraft (the subject of this thread), it's either:
  • One person logs PIC, anybody else on board logs nothing.
  • One person, who has to be a current FI, logs PIC and the student logs P/UT (or "dual")
For the situation described in the original posts this is the definitive unambiguos answer which applies pretty much anywhere in the world.
I am surprised nobody has brought out what to my mind is a far more important consideration, that is who is actually in charge of the flight. This is non trivial because I know of one accident on a "currency checkout" checkout type of flight that occured because the who, does what, when question had not been asked. In this case the very experienced pilot sitting in the right seat had only planned on giving a bit of advice, unfortunately when the airplane bounced badly on landing the low time owner expected the right seater to "help" on the controls. In the confusion the aircraft stalled and dropped to the runway hard enough to do major damage. Ironically the owner stated if he had been alone he would have immediately gone around after the bounce.

Personally if I am asked to do these kind of flight I specifiy the ground rules before the flight.

1) I am PIC and in the event of an actual emergency, I will take control and the owner will handle the radios and read any checklists I call for and only perform further actions which I have specifically requested (this avoids the other pilot unintentionally making things worse by actions which could be at cross purposes to what I am doing). This also applies for what I percieve is a developing unsafe flight condition.

2) The flight will follow an agreed upon sequence of manoevers and any additional work will be briefed in the air before being carried out (this avoids any unplanned "hey watch this manoevers" from the check pilot. If emergencies are to be simulated I will brief how I will simulate the failure/malfunction and will always state "this is a simulated emergency" before doing anything.

3) If at any time I say "I have control" the pilot must immediately relinquish his hold on all controls without any discussion.

If these conditions are not acceptable I politely decline the flight and suggest other instructors he/she may wish to contact.

As for logging the flight......well I have enough SE PIC I am quite happy to have the student log the time as PIC as long as I am not required to attest to competancy ( eg an insurance required sign off).