PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair off piste at PIK (23 Dec 2009)
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2010, 17:16
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I landed on 31R at Kennedy one crystal clear CAVU night (DC-10). I couldn't understand why the DC-8 ahead of me had had to make a go around. The weather was so nice but cold.

When my F/O (he was driving) hit the brakes, there was absolutely no result. We stayed in reverse until we were moving no more. The cockpit was just over the grass at the end but we were just able to turn off the runway.

Having changed to "Point 9", we were told to take a left on the Outer etc. etc.

We slid past the Outer still in full reverse and made it on to the Inner.

I complained bitterly and was told by "Point 9" that the last five aircraft hadn't made the Outer either. When I suggested that they stopped everything moving for a while and got some grit out there, I was almost treated like a heretic.

The reason that every second aircraft was going around (like the DC-8 ahead of me) was due to the fact that the aeroplane that was already on the runway couldn't get off fast enough.

I have also very, very nearly gone off the end in Germany from a CAT II approach in heavy snow. The preceding aircraft (a B727) landed with no problems around 10 minutes ahead of me, but by the time I got there, the braking action had gone to "nil".

So, it only takes minutes for runway conditions to change.

By the way, there is actually no such thing as "nil" braking action but that is a totally different topic. (The figures produced are usually based on a BA of 0.05).