PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help! I don't know what to take!!
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2010, 10:17
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I was being too subtle - by preparing to fail, you have fully prepared to pass as well. When flying, you make damn sure you have Plan B (and maybe even Plan C) before you commit to Plan A. And good pilots are good at many other things as well. A one song, single track, totally focussed "pilot" is generally a rubbish pilot, a total bore to be with in flight and they are often social pariahs.

But what do I know? Well I've got the job you want...

Nothing is impossible
Not so - we don't live in a fair world and we haven't all been dealt a fair hand of cards. In the UK now we a larger social disparity between the top few per cent and the lower 20%. Thanks to a previous government it is almost impossible to move from the lower social ranks to the higher ones. We were also born unequal, take for example my eldest son. It is most unlikely he'll ever fly due to his eyesight.

Then we have some simple things. Flying training is expensive stuff. I'm not sure of Hannah222's background but unless she can get in excess of £130,000 to fund her dream, a career in flying will probably not happen. She is also unlikely to be sponsored as a cadet unless her English improves. An alternative route would be the the Services. They spend millions on training each one of their pilots. They require a high degree of competence in English, if for no other reason than that is how we communicate. When you are in charge of a vital operational asset, communication is vital. The documentation and briefing packages must also be fully understood, unfortunately even down to the bloody commas! Poor English skills, unless you are rich, means flying is probably impossible. This isn't the X-Factor.

PM