PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2010, 03:27
Epiphany

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole things looks bush-league, and pretty much an indictment of the sorry state of affairs in the EMS world in Australia.
Malabo I can't let that one pass. Do you have experience of EMS ops in Australia? Judging by your remarks I'd say obviously not. You are way wide of the mark. I have flown EMS in Australia and Europe (not in North America thankfully) and the Australian model is the best I have seen by far.

The Crewmen that you talk about with such distain are very well trained and although not pilots they have the pilot theoretical knowledge and additionally many thousands of hours of EMS flight time - many at night and IFR.

Yes - a 2 pilot crew would be preferable for safety reasons and this particular operator is currently training these very Crewmen as pilots - an expensive and time consuming process that they should be congratulated for.

If I were flying EMS in Australia again I would much rather fly with one of these Crewmen on a night EMS task than any 500 hours co-pilot with no EMS experience. Besides I fly the 139 now and it is a far easier machine to manage than the SPIFR Bell 412's that were doing the same job in Australia before the 139 arrived.

CRM lessons can be learned from this. Aviate - Navigate - Communicate.