PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moderators Impartiality
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2010, 01:46
Tidbinbilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi Guptar,

I'm not quite sure exactly what you're asking, but hopefully what I'm about to write will answer your question.

The moderating team in D&G is a small, but highly experienced on both sides of the fence in this industry (that being piloting and managing). Most of us have been here since PPRuNe's inception over a decade ago.

Some of the decisions we make as mods often won't please everybody (take the previous post as an example ). However, we try to be as objective as possible in dealing with threads and members.

From my perspective, all of the companies I've worked for have featured fairly prominently in D&G over the years, and continue to do so. Members have written comments about my work colleagues (and I, unbeknownst to them) at different times. Some of these members are known to me personally, others not. Some posts are flattering, others quite the opposite. You get my drift? I have a pretty thick skin when it comes to people taking a shot at me, so it doesn't worry me too much.

Nonetheless, (as my alter-ego) if I disagree with what's written about me, my colleagues or my company, I'll take the person to task directly and rationally, as would any of you, I'm sure. That's what any reasonable person would do.

However, D&G can get pretty fiery at times, and thankfully most threads tend to self-moderate

When I do put my mod's hat on, the game changes completely. For example, I only take action if the post or poster demonstrates one or more of the following "qualities". The list is not exhaustive:

1. Has breached http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting...-reminder.html;
2. Becomes personal (as many threads are wont to do);
3. Becomes libellous towards an individual or organisation;
4. Is a duplicate thread or question;
The list goes on, but I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from.

The action can be anything from reformatting text to merging threads, or in extreme cases, editing or deleting threads and passing on warnings or bans to offenders (rare).

Something you won't see in the front-end of the forums is the communication which occurs between mods as part of our job. There will often be discussions about threads or members' behaviour before action is taken in the actual forum.

As far as a conflict of interest is concerned, Guptar, I don't think it exists with any of we mods. I enjoy my real job, but see stuff posted here about my employer every day. Some of it is down right false. As a mod, I start at para. 7 and work down. I won't interfere unless there is a rule breach.

I'm sure the other mods hold a similar philosophy to mine. We all want you to enjoy the place as much as possible, but the onus is on you to act as decent people toward each other. We try not to get involved too often, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Regards from TID.

Last edited by Tidbinbilla; 17th Oct 2010 at 06:17.