PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I knocked back Cathay
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2010, 17:02
Dragonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A decent flat in a good apartment costs between HKD$4 million. I don't know where you got the $8 million from.

anothernewbie,

Well, I can't blame you for talking about this. However, soon you'll realize that no matter where you go to or what industry you enter, there will no longer be the good old days. Work is work. Pilots are no exception to the rule. If work is good and enjoyable, then you'll need to pay for it, not vice versa. The fact is that all industries have screwed-up working environments. Some people may even talk behind your back about how crazy you are for taking the job at the new company. Employee turnover rates are sky high in any industry. I'm from engineering, so I know.

Assuming that you've just recently entered the workforce, I advise that you learn to accept the reality of work. I also advise you to choose your career based on your passion, ability, and whether you'll fit in with the people. Ignore the other stuff, such as paychecks, perks, working hours, because they're all screwed up. All industries are equally screwed up in terms of perks. If you work in investment banking, you may make a lot of money, but I'm not sure how long your lifespan will be. If you work in construction, you make have more free time, but do you really want to communicate with rough-talking and sweaty construction workers all the time?

I hope you turned down CX because you're not interested in flying. Otherwise, you'll regret, not in 10 years, but in 10 weeks.