PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ansett and the Fokker Friendship
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2010, 11:28
Dora-9

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Mach - I don't think landing in a crosswind was ever a problem, keeping straight afterwards (when the "wake" from the props in ground fine could blanket the rudder) certainly could be!

Bit confused about your comment re different operators having different (poor) layouts given that this thread is entitled "Ansett and the Fokker Friendship"- all Ansett F27's had a quite good standard layout, which changed into a distinctly more modern layout with the advent of the -500. There were three variants of radio/autopilot fit, the Mk.2's changing at VH-FNP I think. VH-MMS when it came into the Ansett fleet from MMA still had the original horrible TAA panel, but thus thankfully was changed very quickly.

On one engine it was a modest but decent performer - however it required considerable rudder force (140 lbs rings a bell in the dim recesses of my memory) and 5 degrees bank towards the "good" engine.

My enduring impressions are of the noise (no whimpy ear protecting headsets or an intercom then; you simply shouted at each other) and starting using ship's batteries which inevitably deginerated into attempting to meter the fuel using the HP cock.

But I loved every minute...