PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I love the recession!
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2010, 11:13
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The message is there....read between the lines.....

Many of you don't like the tone of recession's post. Neither do I. For one I wouldn't wish bankruptcy on anyone’s parents. I'm a parent myself and until you actually become one, you simply will never quite understand what it means be one and what it actually entails. You will do you damndest to support your child; you want them to succeed and you never want anyone to say that they aren't good enough or that they can't achieve something. However there is always a point where parents should let go of the reigns. It’s a big wide world out there and their siblings require exposure and need to make their own mistakes. It will hopefully mould them into being responsible adults.

However the underlying issues are there to see in recession's post

1. There are too many wannabees with no life experience at all. They are still very much attached to the support system of their parents. They have no financial understanding because they have never been required to show any. Therefore shelling out £100,000 of someone else’s money has no real meaning. Repayment plans, remorgaging, APR, recession...huuh ?

2. If you have no life experience then how can you possibly understand how organisations operate? An effective sales pitch with lots of glossy images of cadets in uniforms, manipulated employment stats and shiny aeroplanes on display will appear like the be all and end all to the naive. Exactly how it is intended to! It is of no surprise that the majority of those attending the "top schools" are in their very early twenties. They believe in 100K or more = Integrated course = jet job with 200hrs or less. Because that’s what they are told. The airlines are glad to buy into this concept because it helps control their cost base. People fume at the likes of EZY and FR only recruiting cadets to sit in the RHS. Yes, they are missing out on a wealth of experience by doing so. Yes they have shot the 'self improver' path of pieces as a result (todays 21 year old integrated bod wouldn't even know what that was; largely because their respective FTO doesn't promote it) HOWEVER remember, these recruitment policies are rolled out by managers, not chief pilots or heads of training.

3. Again no life experience will lead you to thinking that current contracts along with the working terms and conditions of those recruiting are the norm. They probably bare no consequence whatsoever, because the main goal in all of this is to program a FMC and engage the A/P at 1000' AGL (OK I'm being facetious - or am I? And after all you have no financial understanding, no financial responsibilities and no experience of the working world, management practice or organisational culture. Now are you wondering why airlines love 21 year old cadets? (by the way, I am in no way implying that current T&Cs are solely to blame on cadets shelling out on integrated courses and SSTRs. It goes much deeper!)

These points just scratch the surface. A few here have picked up on them. I reckon a post like this should be made a sticky. WANABEES - UNDERSTAND THIS, or something along the lines. Probably won't make a difference though, but in full view for all everyone to consider, overprotective parents and overdependent offsprings alike.